I work with clients who need structural editing, copy-editing or proofreading for manuscripts of any length, fiction or non-fiction. I have a master’s degree in journalism and 11 years of experience at a daily newspaper, including two years as editorial pages editor and two years as deputy editorial pages editor.
Note: I am currently closed to new clients until April 30, 2018. If you’ve worked with me before, feel free to get in touch any time.
I currently work on an ongoing basis for a corporate client as a freelance copy-editor, and have been a volunteer mentor/editor for many years for The OpEd Project and Informed Opinions.
I am also a fiction writer with more than 20 short stories published in venues such as Strange Horizons, Escape Pod and Daily Science Fiction, and a novella published by Abaddon Books. My first novel is coming out in 2018 from ChiZine Publications. I’m an active member of SFWA and of the Codex and East Block Irregulars writers groups, with years of experience reading and critiquing other writers’ fiction. I’m represented by agent Jennie Goloboy.
There are three basic kinds of editing: developmental (or substantive) editing, copy-editing and proofreading. Developmental edits help you with the structure of your work; if you’re looking for someone who can tell you if your protagonist has agency, or your thesis makes sense, you want a developmental edit.
Short stories, articles and op-eds:
- For shorter things, I don’t offer a proofread-only option. I’ll do a full structural edit that includes a proofread. Anything up to 5,000 words is a flat rate of $70 CDN (plus HST or GST for Canadian clients.) If it’s more than 5,000 words, see my book-length rates (listed below).
Book-length combined developmental edit and copy-edit
- Editing at both macro and micro levels. I’ll give reader feedback on organization and other high-level issues. I’ll also find errors in spelling, grammar and style and make suggestions about how to make the prose flow better. For example, I might make suggestions about places to tighten or clarify.
- Cost: $12 CDN per 1,000 words. (An 80,000-word novel will cost $960.) Plus HST or GST for Canadian clients.
- This is editing at the sentence and paragraph levels. I’ll find errors in spelling, grammar and style and make suggestions about how to make the prose flow better. For example, I might make suggestions about places to tighten or clarify.
- Cost: $11 CDN per 1,000 words. (An 80,000-word novel will cost $880.) Plus HST or GST for Canadian clients.
- I’ll read your work carefully and identify errors in spelling, grammar and style.
- Cost: $10 CDN per 1,000 words. (An 80,000-word novel will cost $800.) Plus HST or GST for Canadian clients.
The package price for anyone who’d like a developmental and/or copy-editing pass and then (after the author makes one round of corrections) a second, proofreading pass on the same manuscript is $18 CDN per 1,000 words (plus sales tax for Canadian clients). (An 80,000 word novel would cost $1,440 for both rounds of edits).
Please note that all prices are in Canadian dollars, and book-length pricing is rounded down to the nearest 1,000 words.
I accept PayPal and pay any associated fees. (Query if you’d prefer a different form of payment). Under $100, I charge when I’m done. Over $100, I charge half when I take on the project, and half when I deliver the completed edit. I usually work in Word with Track Changes but am flexible. Please query to find out my current availability and I can give you a turnaround time.