Yes, there are still six weeks left in the calendar year, but Nebula nominations have opened, and none of my forthcoming stuff is likely to appear before 2018, so here’s my yearly round-up.
If you read one thing I wrote this year, I’d love it to be I Know All of His Names.
- “Not Valid for Spain” in 49th Parallels: Alternative Canadian Histories and Futures, ed. Hayden Trenholm. 2,000 words. Robots in the Spanish Civil War.
- “Something On Your Mind?” a collaborative story with eight other authors, corralled by Gareth D. Jones, at Kaleidotrope. Science fiction. 5,500 words.
- “Ad Infinitum” at Daily Science Fiction, June 2, 2017. Rebuilding their ships, rebuilding themselves. Science fiction. 1,200 words.
- “I Know All of His Names” at Liminal Stories. May 1, 2017. Every story needs a monster and I make a very serviceable one. Dark historical fantasy. 2,000 words.
I published several journalistic, critical and on-writing articles this year. Here are my favourites:
- The right books for dark times — Article Mag, Feb. 17, 2017
- The Art of Story Mechanics on the SFWA blog, June 2017