I’m about 1,300 words into the first draft of a story that I plan to submit to Glitter and Mayhem, which promises to be an amazing book full of stories of, as the submissions guidelines have it, “Roller Derby, nightclubs, glam aliens, (literal) party monsters, drugs, sex, glitter, debauchery, etc.”
The Kickstarter for Glitter and Mayhem is in its final hours.
There’s bound to be stiff competition for spots among these amazing writers, so I know my story might not make the cut. All the same, I’m enjoying writing it, and the prompt has woken some ideas deep in my lizard brain.
The story’s too fragile to talk about, at the moment, but it’s got a 1990s nightclub setting and contains strangeness.
I mentioned on Twitter the other day that I’ve been writing to the song Do It With a Rockstar by Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra (Not Safe For Work video above), which seems to capture the anthology’s theme pretty well. A couple of other writers working on glittery submissions mentioned the songs they’ve found inspiring, and I got to thinking: we need a playlist.
So here’s my own personal playlist for this particular fluorescent, vertiginous, hoarse-voiced story I’m working on. And I’ve added a few suggestions from others on Twitter. Please use the comment field to add your own if you’re inspired.
- Do It With a Rockstar, Amanda Palmer and the Grand Theft Orchestra
- Tighten Up, The Black Keys
- Guero Canelo, Calexico
- L. A. River, Rancid
- We Used to Wait, Arcade Fire
- After the Show, the Polytones
- Unfinished Sympathy, Massive Attack
- Isabella, Mediaeval Baebes
- Anthem for the Already Defeated, Rock Plaza Central
- Old Main Drag, the Pogues
And here are some suggestions from other writers on Twitter:
- Girl or a Boy, Imperial Drag (hat tip to @fullofstars)
- Die Young, and/or Take it Off, Ke$ha (hat tip to @amazon_syren)
* note: post updated Feb. 15 to reflect the anthology’s title change.